Where do you stand on the specialist vs generalist debate?
Do you have a copywriting niche?
Or do you prefer to be — as my Twitter pal Jonathan Wilcock puts it — ‘A specialist, but not a specialist’?
According to the ProCopywriters Survey 2019, just over half of copywriters — 51% — specialise, while the other 49% don’t. I fall in that 51%. And, on the 28th August 2019, I got the chance to bang on about why I think niching down is the way to go as a freelance copywriter from the #ProCopyChat hot seat (If you’ve never heard of it, it’s an hour-long Twitter chat that happens every last Wednesday of the month at 11:00 am GMT, and you should definitely join in).
Here’s what went down.